Keene Valley Library was created in 1885 when it was recognized that a collection of reading materials would benefit the community and its visitors. From the initial gift of $200 a nucleus of 167 volumes for adults and children was assembled. Today that number has grown to more than 20,000 items. This growth has been accomplished by generations of villagers and visitors who have been patrons and supporters of The Keene Valley Library Association.
The Association was organized in November of 1891 to promote the growth of the Library and secure housing for it. This was achieved with the completion of the front part of the present building in 1896, the result of a gift from Miss Sarah R. Dunham and community fund raising efforts. The Regents of the Sate of New York granted the Library its permanent charter in 1899.
The Library has been physically expanded several times over the years. A children’s room was added in 1923 in memory of Susan Twichell. A fireproof room to protect the Loomis historical collection and archives was constructed in 1931. By 1962 it was necessary to further expand by adding a new children’s room and stack area for non-fiction materials. In 1980 two more rooms were finished in the basement: the Alpine Room and the Mobil Room. Most recently the Library has grown by the addition of another reading room for very young children and an extension of the historical room in order to increase space for its growing collections which now include the Archives of the Adirondack Mountain Reserve.
The patrons of the Keene Valley Library Association and the Town of Keene have supported the programs and progress of the Library over the decades. This support has created a place that is special to many of all ages and through all seasons. Our library is the expression of a continuing tradition of excellence, the result of community commitment and generosity.